Over the past few years, laminate has been taking over from traditional wood as a surface covering choice in homes. But now everyone knows that there are other options also available in the market like acrylic. Sorting through the choices between acrylic vs laminate can be as confusing as choosing one letter over another.
The Pros and Cons of acrylic vs laminate
Interiors require cabinets to provide a place to store every utensil in the Modular kitchen. So having a cabinet with superior finish materials, also plays a key role in the interior design process. We always give extensive knowledge on interior materials for every individuals.
Acrylic laminates are high glossy finished panels, similar gloss like glass and flexible like PVC material. it is available in a wide range of colors, thickness and gives a glossy sheen to your kitchen cabinets. They also come in matt finish too.
- If you wish your kitchen to be highly glossy then Acrylic is the best option. High-gloss acrylic finishes are visually appealing, warm and welcoming.
- Laminates are also available in high gloss option but they are not as glossy as Acrylic. If one is looking for mat finish for the kitchen then one can find it in laminates.
- laminates have been known to feel a bit plasticky and artificial
- Acrylic has a smooth finish and is a popular material for decorating, such as tables and cabinets. Acrylic is a type of material that resembles glass.
- In images you’ll not be able to identify any differences. But when you see it live, it is easy to identify since the are very smooth finish and striking.
Color and Varieties :
- Acrylic finishes are available in a limited range of vibrant colors and they do not lose its sheen and hue for a long time.
- laminate finishes have higher varieties than acrylic and includes matt, glossy, ultra high gloss. Apart from colors, these are also available in various textures including wood, Textiles, Metal finishes too.
Maintenance and Durability :
- There are few brands in market which they provide scratch resistant acrylic panels (i.e. Only if they are 100% pure acrylic). Else you will find non scratch resistant panels which are PVC mixed to reduce cost of panels. Similar case in laminates too, in terms for density in material.
- Acrylic needs to be well maintained to get rid of fingerprints and dust. but Laminates are more durable than acrylic.
- Laminates will wear out in 10–25 years on average (depending on the specific product you buy). You do have to be careful on wet mop. moisture for long time will damage its finish.
- Laminate are easier to install and repair, only damaged area can be repaired without having to replace entire installed area.
Which is costly acrylic vs laminate?
Given their aesthetic appeal and easy to clean properties, acrylic finished cabinets are more expensive around Rs.4500-8000 for 1.2mm thick sheets (Decolam acrylic sheets) when compared to laminates. Laminate finishes offer variety and durability at a significantly lower cost, making them ideal for those on a budget.
Conclusion: In the battle of Acrylic vs laminate finishes, we have no choice but to declare…no winner. Sorry! If you were looking for a definitive answer, we can’t help you. Both of these finishes are excellent in their own right, and each serves a distinct purpose.